Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Things to relate to!

It's great to find experiences of others that you can relate to. Today I've stumbled across two! It really makes you feel like you're not alone in the world.

One is an article by a friend who discovered she was autistic at 21. She is now 27, has her Master's and lives in an apartment with her cat. I could relate to many of the experiences she described, and then ran across a sentence that resonated with me. In high school, "she wasn't into makeup, boys or dating." This is the story of my life! I knew this about her already, but to see that sentence just instilled into me that I'm not the only one who just doesn't find those things interesting.

Another article I was reading was by a former elementary school teacher who has Asperger's. He was talking about how things are looked at as hobbies for non-autistic people, but obsessions for autistic people. Fast forward to about halfway through the article, and what is one of his special interests, but...you guessed it...Sonic the Hedgehog! :D He talked about how it helped him become a writer, an explorer, and to form a bond with his cousin. Sonic has been so therapeutic for me since I was 10. It's something I can play over and over again and persevere on. Sonic never gets old!

After reading these articles, I'm left with a feeling of happiness. Happy because there are others who "get it." There are other peeps out there who are like me! Everyone is unique in their own way, which I appreciate VERY much. It is nice once in a while, though, to find others with common interests :)

No comments:

Post a Comment