Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Autism is Pervasive/One of Many Parts to a Whole

A good friend reminded me of the importance of not letting autism define me, but rather to not lose sight of everything that makes me who I am. After much contemplation, I've come to a conclusion on how I feel about this.

I am more than autism, BUT....it is a pervasive aspect of who I am which defines me in many ways. On the other hand, it is one of many parts to a whole. Not only am I autistic, but I am also an animal lover, friend, sister, daughter, Sonic fanatic, geek...the list goes on.

The thing is, autism greatly shapes me into who I am. It's because I'm autistic that I am ME. It is the reason I have no shame in my game. It's why I am content with who I am regardless of what everyone else is doing. It makes me unique, complete with my own operating system. Perhaps it's why I love video games so much and could care less about things like my appearance.

I'm the same person I was before receiving a diagnosis. I've always been everything that makes me up, including autistic. I'm just now aware of this. I've gotten answers to why I've always been a little "different," and quite frankly, I'm proud of who I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment