Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Submission for a friend's project...


I am a 31-year-old girl who lives for helping others. I have my Bachelor's in Social Work, and I work with individuals who have mental illnesses and developmental disabilities. I love animals, and can't imagine my life without them. I have a passion for video games, especially Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as the Android operating system. What makes me unique is the fact that I've always followed my heart despite what others think. I'm not afraid to be a little weird. I'm also asexual and aromantic. I have Asperger's, ADHD, OCD and anxiety.

Autistic pride means embracing who you are and appreciating your own special operating system. It means capitalizing on your gifts, and using your challenges to become stronger. I am connected to autistic culture simply because I am autistic myself, and I regularly advocate for the community I am proud to say I belong to. People can be more accepting of autistic people just by welcoming them as they are. They can choose to see them as people who have great things to contribute to society, and who have the ability to see things in a different light. Neurodiversity is important because we are all unique, and reside in our own place on the neurological spectrum. This is something to be celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment