Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Looking back...no pun intended

It was two years ago today that I was in the ER for my back. It had been hurting on and off since the beginning of the year, and was finally at a point where I could barely move. It had been giving me extreme pain for a few days.

I got to the ER, and was taken in pretty quickly. The nurse who saw me was able to pop something back into place, and told me it was my sacroiliac joint. She gave me a Lortab to ease the pain as I waited to be discharged, and I got a nice little catnap in. I also got a medical note excusing me from work for two weeks.

I spent the next two weeks with a lot of rest, and a few comfy pillows. I was prescribed more Lortab and a muscle relaxer, which really helped me to sleep. After those two weeks and some chiropractic appointments, I was ready to return to work.

I had some more appointments and and MRI within the next month, which revealed the answer I was hoping not to hear: herniated discs. To this day, I have no idea what caused them. Yes, my being overweight doesn't help matters, but how they originally developed, I will never know.

I'm just extremely thankful that since that time, my back has been holding its own. It does have its moments, that's for sure, and I know when I need to take it easy. I can't go trying to lift 50 pounds, as I know it could throw something out of whack again. I do experience days where it's stiff and a little sore, but it has been NOTHING like it was during those two weeks. Let's hope it continues to stay fairly stable! *knock on wood*

No comments:

Post a Comment