Saturday, April 2, 2016

What's It Like To Be Autistic?

A lot of people might ask, "what's it like to be autistic?" Well, I'll tell you about it! :)

While most people see the big picture, I take it in bit by bit, detail by detail. If I look at a picture of the beach, for example, the sparkling water might catch my attention first. Maybe it's the dog running after the frisbee its owner just threw. Perhaps it's the grainy sand. I notice the little things, and appreciate them.

I take things very literally. When I was 13, a girl told me that her friend stabbed her in the back. My response: "what did she stab you with?" Figures of speech, unless I've become familiar with them, will often mean to me how they sound word for word.

I'm honest to a fault, and often assume everyone else is the same way. While this is usually a good thing, it has gotten me taken advantage of. I've learned how to be more careful so that I don't run into the same problem in the future. I take things at face value, and am transparently, unapologetically me.

I have my special interests: Sonic the Hedgehog and Android. I've been a die-hard Sonic fan since I was 9, and my interest hasn't wavered over the past 24 years. You can often find me rooting my newest devices and flashing the latest ROMs. I'm a flashaholic (for those of you scratching your head, that means someone who likes to install the latest operating system, in excess) XD

So there you have it: a little glimpse into what it's like to see the world through autistic eyes. I wouldn't want to be any other way, as I wouldn't be me! Autism is ausome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment