Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Happy Anniversary!

Omg, it's finally here! One year ago today, I was officially diagnosed with ASD Level I, otherwise known as Asperger's. I can't believe it's been a whole year! So much has happened since then.

I still remember walking into my psychologist's office that day. After my other two sessions, he told me that after assessing me, he saw that I am someone who is on the autism spectrum. I asked him where I fell, and he replied that he would put me in the Asperger's range. He asked me how I felt, and if that answered my questions. I told him that it did, and I walked out of the office feeling elated. Finally. My suspicions were confirmed, and  it was now official: I was an Aspie! I called my parents and shared the news. They weren't surprised, as they knew what I had concluded for the previous 5 years.

In the past year, I feel like I've accomplished so much in the way of advocating and educating. I successfully wrote a blog post for every day of Autism Awareness month, April of last year. I've been published on The Mighty. I've made so many great friends via Facebook, and learned so much about myself. I am lined up to be a guest speaker at Makes Sense, the local autism supply store, to parents of kids on the spectrum. Life has been good, and I am very blessed!

This is only the beginning. While a year seems like a long time, it went by in the blink of an eye. My work is far from done. There are so many people I have yet to meet, and reach out to. My only hope is that I can help others to understand themselves like I discovered myself. It has been a very rewarding process. I will never forget this day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment