Sunday, August 24, 2014

The benefits to learning you're on the spectrum

Once I discovered I had Asperger's, it's like a light bulb went on in my head. I finally had a name to put to why I've always been different (and gladly so), have had certain challenges, and interpret the world the way I do. It was great to gain this insight into myself.

For the next 4 years, I researched everything I could find about Asperger's. I realized that I HAD to be on the spectrum; it just made so much sense! After several online tests, lists of traits, and personal accounts of other Aspies, I decided to get the answer I was looking for: an official diagnosis.

After a series of three interview-like appointments with the same psychologist who had diagnosed me with ADHD six years earlier, and questionnaires completed by my parents and myself, voila! It was determined I AM indeed on the spectrum! What a relief it was to finally confirm what I had been suspecting for so long.

Once I got this answer, I could put my questions to rest. I had that certainty I so longed for. This also meant that nothing had changed about me as a person; I had ALWAYS been an Aspie, it's just that now I knew this for sure! Then began the journey of self-discovery and learning more and more, which I'm in the process of at the moment. It's been a very rewarding journey, and I look forward to continuing to learn and help others along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment