Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kind of to go with what I wrote yesterday...

I don't want to beat a dead horse...maybe I technically won't be as this is more of a continuation of yesterdays post about not "looking" autistic. This has just been on my mind for a few days and I want to stress that just because one may appear neurotypical does not necessarily mean they are, and that both their struggles and gifts are still valid.

From my own experience, I may appear as your average human being upon first meeting me and talking to me. It's when you get to know me a little better that some of my differences start to show their face. For example, starting a job. During the beginning stages as an employee, I'm going through the learning phase and will naturally need a few pointers. It's when I've been at that job for several years and am still struggling to figure out a method that will work for me in order to keep on top of things and do my best, and still need reminders about things, that one may start to notice that something's up. Thankfully I have a lot of help in this area and have been making strides!

I think that upon first meeting me, since I'm such an open book, that perhaps I come off as a little "odd." After knowing a person longer, though, they'll know that I take things literally. That I don't read between the lines. That I don't seen to be caught up in what everyone else is doing. That's totally ok with me!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't base your ideas of a person on what you see after your first interaction with them. This applies to everyone, whether on the spectrum or not. Just because someone looks as if they are perfectly capable of something, don't judge them when you learn they have struggles with it. A lot of the characteristics of autism are invisible to the outside observer. Never downplay them, as well as our many gifts! I think it's because I'm on the spectrum that I embrace my individuality and have the genuineness I do, and I wouldn't trade that for anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment