Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Reading between the lines

This has to be one of the most difficult things for me to grasp as an Aspie. So many people have alterior motives and hidden messages, and if you interpret what is said word for word, you'll completely miss them. I take what I'm told at face value. I can't always recognize when someone is trying to pull one over on me. I've had "friendships" in which I've become a doormat because of my inability to recognize that there was more to the story than what I could see.

The important thing to remember when talking to someone on the spectrum is to be CONCRETE and DIRECT. Say what you mean. Don't use figures of speech they may not grasp and don't assume that they'll understand when you use a phrase with a double meaning. If the sky is blue, it's blue and nothing more. Don't try to tell them otherwise. Has anyone been in these types of situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment