Thursday, April 16, 2015

Cleaning on the spectrum

For the longest time, cleaning and maintaining a clean space hasn't been the easiest thing for me to do. I can clean, and when I clean I do it well, however it's motivation and energy that are components that aren't always there.

The main thing is, I have to be in the MOOD to clean. The trouble is, these moments spring up few and far between. Once in in "cleaning mode," I'm ready to go like the Energizer bunny for a few hours straight! This hasn't been as easy, though, since I've gained a lot of weight, which is also a barrier. Between sleeping during the day as I work the night shift, and getting everything else I need to do accomplished, I often find I have little time or energy left.

Executive functioning deficits also play a role. Sometimes I can only get so far before I get sidetracked, or then there's the famous "I don't even know where to start!" phenomenon. I know that in the end, my mind will feel organized along with a clean room, but sometimes, it's hard to get the ball rolling.

This is where I've come to realize, I must come up with a plan! I've decided that I'm going to rearrange my room in such a way that will maximize the surface area of the walls so that I'll have more room for my furniture. Just opening up more space can make all the difference! I'm going to start with moving my bed so that the headboard is right under my window, allowing the rest of the walls to be free, and work from there. I'll even post before and after pics! This will be a weekends project so that I can allow for the time and every I'll need to expend; the proverbial "spoons." I can't wait to get started! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment