Monday, April 6, 2015

Freedom from societal pressure

If there's one good thing about being on the spectrum, it's the freedom to be unique. Everyone has their own ideas of what they want out of life, and that's kewl. With autism, not all, but many people don't feel the need to conform to what their peers are doing.

I've never acted like my peers. I've always followed the beat of a different drummer. I take things as I see them, at face value. I'm direct and literal.

In school, I never saw the point of acting "just like everybody else." Everyone is different, and what's good for one person may not be for the second. While most girls were preoccupied with their appearance and boys, I didn't give those things a second thought. I didn't feel compelled to follow the trends. Instead, I happily played my video games.

The older I get, the wider I see the "age gap" between my peers and me grow, and that's ok. I feel younger, so I'm naturally going to act it. While many of my peers are starting families, I can't fathom that lifestyle for myself. Once again, that may be a great thing for some, and I see some of my peers making excellent parents. For me, personally, however, I don't feel anywhere near that level of responsibility. I'm still learning how the heck to take care of myself! XD Nevertheless, I'm happy,nas I'm doing what's right for ME.

So what is it exactly I'm getting at? I guess my point is that we're all different, and living on the spectrum makes things even more different for me. The thing is, I can respect others who have different ideas. While I don't live up to societal mores, per se, if others are in different situations and they know it's right for them, then they are where they should be. I like being unique me, and I wouldn't want it any other way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment