Monday, April 27, 2015

Everything happens for a reason.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm a firm believer in the thought that everything happens for a reason. This includes the fact that I did not receive any of my diagnoses until later on life.

In preschool, I was hyperactive. I was sent to a psychologist, however he dropped the ball and lost touch with my parents before any kind of assessment could be made. Fast forward about 20 years. I had spent most of my life having difficulty with executive functioning, and it finally came to a head. I was 25 and finally took it upon myself to be evaluated for ADHD, and sure enough, I was right! I was also diagnosed with OCD and anxiety at this time, after having dealt with them for a lifetime. As you probably my know, my Asperger's diagnosis didn't come until I was 31, after also taking the initiative myself to go for an assessment.

Part of me wonders what my life would have been like had I been diagnosed earlier on. Would school have been a little easier? Would I have gotten help in some areas? On the flip side, what if I would have been thrown in a class that did not allow me to capitalize on my strengths? Perhaps I would have been limited in what I could accomplish.

This is why, these kinds of questions aside, I'm confident in the notion that everything happens for a reason. While it may have made a positive difference had I been diagnosed early on, I still proved that I could do it for all the years my differences went unknown. Now, I have answers to boot and can work on myself! I feel it all happened the way it was meant to.

No comments:

Post a Comment