Sunday, April 19, 2015

Motivation

For those of us spectrumites and ADHDers, motivation can be a daunting phenomenon. We want to get things done, however can't always muster the oomph to do so. Why this is, I'm not quite sure.

For example, cleaning. I have to be in the mood to get it done. Once I'm in cleaning mode, I can go for a long time. It's the fact that these cleaning moods are few and far between that make it difficult to keep up with it, and I find myself waiting until it looks like a tornado hit before I feel like trying to tackle it.

Making phone calls is another thing that I struggle with. I think part of this one is due to anxiety. I know I need to make that important call, and tell myself this, however I always end up waiting until it's too late that day, and have to wait until the next day, or sometimes even week.

What helps me is to set aside a day to do these things, and then, as the Nike slogan goes, just do it! It's not always as easy as it sounds, but once I've got it in my mind that I want to do something, I harness that willpower and usually can follow through with what it is I want to accomplish. I've successfully gotten my car cleaned out and my room cleaned this weekend, simply by deciding I needed to get it out of the way. For these moments, I'm very grateful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment